Critical Intervention Services, Inc. is a protective services agency based in the Tampa Bay Area providing a range of specialized security and investigation services to businesses, governments, and individuals in Florida and throughout the world. Founded in 1992, CIS is an industry leader in developing and instituting innovative and effective solutions for security and intelligence-related challenges, especially those in complex risk environments.
As a protective services firm, CIS has over 300 licensed security officers in its ranks. Most officers are members of the Special Services Group and Anti-Terrorism Officer Division. CIS also maintains the largest and most advanced patrol fleet in Florida.
The CIS School Protection Program is one example of the type of innovative and effective solutions that has earned CIS worldwide recognition from clients, news media, and academic research institutions. Following are some other highlights of our accomplishments over the past 20 years.
- In the early 1990’s, CIS pioneered a unique methodology for protecting communities. The success of the program in reducing crime and increasing community quality of life has been extensively documented by police, news media, and academic institutions and is the central theme of two criminal justice textbooks.
Since 1994, CIS has successfully utilized its community-based methodology in over 1,000 Florida communities representing all demographics. In 2014, CIS was awarded a contract by MetroWest in Orlando to create the first Prevention Agency in the United States based on the CIS model in a community of over 45,000 residents and businesses.
- In 2004, CIS created the Anti-Terrorism Officer (ATO) division for the specialized mission of protecting domestic critical infrastructure. In 2005, the US Government Accountability Office (GAO) hailed the ATO Division as “…a model for critical infrastructure protection.”
CIS ATOs currently provide round-the-clock protection for critical Tampa-area power stations and control facilities. The CIS ATO training program has also been adopted and presented to military and police organizations worldwide and was the basis for the new Anti-Terrorism and Facility Security Program at the Baghdad Police College.
- In response to the public need for an effective strategy for reducing the risk of school violence, Critical Intervention Services launched the CIS School Protection Program in 2013 as a comprehensive and effective security program model for protecting students against violence.
The School Protection Program is currently under peer review by John Jay College of Criminal Justice as a potential model for national best practices and the CIS School Protection Officer training program.
- As experts in the field of managing targeted violence risks, CIS has provided protection for numerous high profile individuals, including Glenn Beck, Senator Bob Dole, civil rights leaders Rosa Parks and Archbishop Desmond Tutu, news anchorwoman Paula Zahn, talk show host Sally Jesse Raphael, Emeril Lagasse, and numerous other actors and entertainers.
- CIS subject matter experts have provided training around the world on matters related to security, intelligence, and managing risks of targeted violence. Some examples of our training clients include the US Capitol Police, US Central Command, US Department of Justice, US Special Operations Command, Azerbaijan Ministry of National Security, Iraqi Ministry of Interior, European External Action Service (EU), Federal Bureau of Prisons, Georgian Ministry of Internal Affairs, Organization for Security & Cooperation in Europe, Netherlands Ministry of Defense, Omani Internal Security Service, Saudi Arabian National Guard, and UAE Critical National Infrastructure Authority.
- To ensure integrity of our operations, CIS was the first private security agency in the southern United States to implement a formal internal affairs investigation process (managed by the CIS Office of Risk Management and Professional Standards). Other examples of unique CIS quality controls include our 300-page Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) manual, mandatory SOP testing for officers, internal leadership and professional development training, and report auditing process for client liability management.
- The success of our unique and innovative approaches to security problems have gained us worldwide recognition through media outlets including The Wall Street Journal, ABC World News Tonight, BBC, CNN, Fox News Network, The Detroit News, Spiegel Television (Germany), Courrier International (France), and every news affiliate in the Tampa Bay area. In addition to stories about CIS’s accomplishments, CIS staff members frequently provide expert commentary for news media organizations (and expert witness testimony) on matters related to school security, urban crime, targeted violence, and terrorism.
- CIS’ unique methods and operational philosophy has been studied and recognized by numerous criminal justice and government “think tanks” such as the Independent Institute, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, and the US Government Accountability Office. Multiple CIS staff members are also advisory board members and contributing instructors for multiple universities.